Tuesday 7 April 2020

Book Review: You Are What You Love

You are what you love. But you might not love what you think.

In this book, award-winning author James K. A. Smith shows that who and what we worship fundamentally shape our hearts. And while we desire to shape culture, we are not often aware of how culture shapes us. 


We might not realize the ways our hearts are being taught to love rival gods instead of the One for whom we were made. Smith helps readers recognize the formative power of culture and the transformative possibilities of Christian practices. 

He explains that worship is the "imagination station" that incubates our loves and longings so that our cultural endeavours are indexed toward God and his kingdom. This is why the church and worshiping in a local community of believers should be the hub and heart of Christian formation and discipleship.


My Reflections: I was not quite sure what I was expecting when I chose this book. The cover was eye-catching and the title jumped out at me. 

I have never read James Smith's works, so I didn't know his writing was geared to church theologians and high minded individuals. I have to admit I was disappointed with this book, not because of what it contained, but the level of academia. 

I found myself lost, confused and slightly bored. The first two chapters are quite good and have some solid things to ponder but after that, I was a lost cause. I guess my brain has a hard time pondering deeply right now?

The primary idea of the book centers around that we were created to be lovers, not thinkers. In other words, humans were created to have something to love. That would be God, right? I completely get that but, Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with all the opinions expressed in this book, but then again it was out of my league. 

If you love to dig deep into thinking about big ideas, love theology this may just be a great book for you. It will have a happy life at our church library.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...