Friday 29 September 2017

Book Review: Friends, Partners and Lovers

From the Back:

Great marriages don't just happen--they're made, intentionally, day by day.

The number one cause of divorce isn't adultery or finances or disagreements. It's apathy--a lack of intentional emotional, physical, and mental investment in the relationship. It's forgetting that as a husband or wife you have three distinct roles: friend, partner, and lover.

With engaging stories and clear, simple language, pastor Kevin A. Thompson shows how to live out those roles. Using solid biblical principles, he helps you and your spouse grow your friendship, be supportive partners through the good times and the bad, and develop a healthy and satisfying sex life.

Whether you are starry-eyed in love or struggling to make it work, this book will show you how to keep your marriage healthy, strong, and fulfilling.
My Reflections:
With divorce rates ever increasing, I think it essential to continue to work on your marriage no matter if you are engaged or married for 50 years. Marriage is a continuum that is ever changing and quite frankly a full-time job! Don't get me wrong I love being married, have been since 1994, but Love is and always will be a choice. It is not automatic and second nature. At least it isn't for me, perhaps I am an oddity!  I am still happily married, and on the day of our wedding (me at 19), I heard all kinds of bets about how long they thought the union would last. I'm happy to say I married the man of my dreams! It's a choice, folks!

About Kevin Thompson's book Friends, Partners, and Lovers, Thompson offers up a buffet of guidance and practical, no-nonsense approach to making marriage successful.
I found this book easy to read, as it is well laid out and written in an inspiring manner. It is not overly preachy and very gender balanced. Of course, every book like this needs to start in the Lovers section, wink, wink. (it is the last section in the index.)
This book is well-written, and although I didn't find new information, I think it would be a good read for couples who are in need of counsel or in new relationships. Other topics include Part 1: Friend, Part 2 Partner and lastly part 3 Lover.

Overall this is a fantastic book to give to newlyweds or to have in the church library. A great reminder to us long wed folks and a great tool to open up conversations between husband and wife.

This book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc

Kevin A. Thompson (MDiv, Beeson Divinity School) is lead pastor at Community Bible Church, a growing multi-site church with four locations in western Arkansas. Every year he meets with nearly one hundred couples with a range of needs, from pre-marital...
Continue reading about Kevin A. Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...