Tuesday 24 May 2016

Book Review: Loving My Actual Life

Cover Art

From the Back

What if you could actually love the life you are living right now?
In life, there is the ideal: fulfilling work, thriving relationships, financial security. Not to mention an orderly and beautiful home and children who never misbehave. And then there's reality: frustrations, illness, feeling overwhelmed and inadequate. We can wait around for our circumstances to change and in the process miss the goodness right in front of us. Or we can choose to love our actual lives, right here and now.

In this entertaining and insightful book, Alexandra Kuykendall chronicles her nine-month experiment to rekindle her love of her ordinary, actual life. After wiping her calendar as clean as a mother of four can, Kuykendall focuses on one aspect of her life each month, searching for ways to more fully enjoy her current season. By intentionally adding one thing each month that will make her jump for joy, she provides a practical challenge you can easily replicate in your life. With humor, poignancy, and plenty of personal stories, she shows how a few small changes can make this crazy-busy life one of holy contentment.

My Reflections:

Alexandra Kuykendall's new book "Loving my Actual life" grabbed me from the first glance. I am in the "busy season." That season of life when you thought kids should become easier instead of harder, the time when age has started to creep up and zap your peppy happy self. Not to mention the busy season of spring on a farm!

Alexandra Kuykendall's book reads like a memoir, you will be greatly encouraged to read about  her journey and her "life experiment." This author has spent nearly a decade pouring into woman's lives through an organization called MOPS (moms of preschoolers.) Having been a regular attender of a local MOPS group I can attest that the encouragement and refreshment I experienced as a new mom changed the way I parented.

"Perma-exhaustion," "yes Alexandra, that is me," This book was a God send, it resonated with me on so many levels, and while I still have lots of work to do on my attitude towards life I feel more hopeful than I have in months. 
Do you often find yourself on auto pilot running from activity to activity not really engaged in any of it? Kuykendall found this and started to make small but meaningful changes in her life. I certainly could spend less time on social media! You will love her ideas and encouraging voice of reassurance! Her natural story telling abilities will entertain and enlighten you all at the same time.

Kuykendall spent nine months re vamping how she spent her time and lived her life, I think it is fair to say that if we balance our time and energy on being present in the now that our future will benefit greatly. I will slowly but surly learn to love the life I'm given, right here and right now, are you ready to do the same?

I recommend this book to women in all stages of life, the premise is the same for all. I dare you!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

THE AUTHOR

  1. Alexandra Kuykendall

    Alexandra Kuykendall

    Alexandra Kuykendall is on staff at MOPS International (Mothers of Preschoolers) where she encourages mothers of young children to keep growing as they take on their new mothering identity. She is a regular contributor and consulting editor to MomSense...
    Continue reading about Alexandra Kuykendall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...