Saturday 30 June 2012

18 years and still going strong!


18 years is a long time right?
Well that is exactly how long I will have been married come the first of July.
A long time.
Really though it seems like a blink of an eye, I love my dear husband so much, he really is my soul mate, and God did well when he chose him for me.

We were far too young to really make an informed decision about those sorts of matters and I am sure there were many who bet their lunch on us not making to a year. I was 19 years old. I thought I was brilliantly mature for my age, and that I had it all figured out, Haha, that is so very funny right?

My childhood as you have probably figured by my posts was so far form normal, so far that I thought it was normal, until I left home and got married. :-)
This was quite a journey; a must needed journey that lead me to understanding my self and life.
I was able to fly, and test my wings in a whole new way that was so very freeing yet so very scary.

What I learned is that in order to grow you really do need to look at your deepest fears in the face and press on through the fire.
Yep it burnt, but it also refined and I am who I am because of the life I have lived.

Wow what a ramble, sorry back to marriage and the long but wonderful 18 years.

My dear Husband was so patient and loving through it all. He stuck by me and I him and together we have made it this far, happy dance inserted here.

I will admit I am not so very easy to live with,

I like clean, he likes mess.
I like organization and he could care less.
I like fun and he likes work.
And to top it off I am kinda self centered.
He would gladly give the shirt off his back, and I have been known to sneak into the closet to eat the last chocolate square. He always gives it to the kids..hard to live with a saint!

I like movies, city life, and shopping he likes walks by the river, a rental, and never, never steps into a mall unless it has a grocery store.

But despite all our differences we get along like oatmeal and peanut butter, my new favorite by the way.
So what to do to commemorate this special day?
I asked Google what to do on your anniversary (because Google is my best friend) and this is what she came up with....

Here are some excellent tips and ideas of some special actions that you can take to help keep love alive in your life. (Has this guy been marries or did he Google it too?)

1. Give your loved one a top ten list: Top Ten Reasons Why I Love You. (It's okay to include bonus reasons.) Uh no....
2. Change the screen saver on the computer to something like "You Are the Light of My Life" in fancy or bold letters. You gotta be serious, nope...
3. Stick an "I Love You" note on his or her steering wheel while they are at work. OK better I’ve at least done this!
4. Give her the top half of a pair of your pajamas on a cold night. Wink wink how about I give him mine LOL!! Sorry keep it clean, I know!
5. Write a poem for her, even if it is short, and even if you can't write poems. This was written by a man?
6. Bake fortune cookies that contain special "I Love You" messages. Did he just say bake?
7. Give her a rose for every year you've known her. Its 18, mister!
8. Give him a golf ball for every year you've known him. What would he do with a golf ball.....
9. Learn how to say "I Love You" is as many different languages as possible. I know many I make them up to impress my kids, which for some reason really does not impress them...I'm really good at pig latten!
10. Reenact the best date the two of you ever had. It involves chicken barns do I have to go to the barn to do this because all the dust would ruin the moment.....No hey NO, we met in a chicken barn, is all I’m saying, me singing rubber ducky you’re the one from Sesame Street. I was 17 OK? Never mind.
11. Put your favorite love note in a frame. Blah!
12. Take walks together after midnight. Yep do that, because we work so much that is the only time we have. Alone..
13. Memorize your favorite love poem. Did he say memorize I can't even remember my dogs name half the time.
14. Read the story of Romeo and Juliet to each other. Oh this is sure to put DH asleep!
15. Rent a bicycle built for two and ride in the park. That is a long way from here my friend..
16. Serenade her with a song, preferably beneath a window. OK now I am truly laughing out loud, the dog what's his name? Would howl and wake the neighbors.
17. Buy him or her copy of their favorite magazine. Popular Science, yippee, so romantic.
18. Give her one of her favorite flowers for each year you've known her. We mentioned that.
19. Write a love letter in a code. Chirp, chirp, and gobble, gobble.Moooo.
20. Give him or her a t-shirt with their pet name on it. Honey? I am so sure he would not be caught dead wearing that!

So as you can see I am at quite a loss. These suggestions border on sappy and unrealistic. I am a City girl; this is so not my speed.
So I was suppose to plan this "date" two months ago, but with no budget and no sound ideas I reverted back to my ol'stand by. Dinner and a movie.
Dear husband really does not want to go to a movie, so we shall go for a walk along the ocean instead.
A wonderful couple from our sweet little church has even offered to watch the three children. Oh she is so sweet! It will be nice to get a whole conversation in!
So please give me some ideas on what your favorite anniversary activities are, as you can see I am pretty lame at this.
Bible Verses About Marriage - Marriage is a sacred vow between a man and woman and the Bible offers many verses that offer guidance for married couples, husbands, wives, newlyweds and engagement. Here are a few....
  • Genesis 2:22-24

    Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.  The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man."  For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.
  • Proverbs 5:18-19

    May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.  A loving doe, a graceful deer-- may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love.
  • Proverbs 12:4

    A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.
  • Proverbs 18:22

    He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 19:14

    Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.
  • Proverbs 20:6-7

    Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?  The righteous man leads a blameless life; blessed are his children after him.
    Dear Husband I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...