Wednesday 17 July 2019

Book Review: The Heart Of A King

From The Back:

Get swept away by a story of love, loss, and longing
King Solomon could--and did--have anything he wanted, including many women from many lands. But for all of his wealth and wisdom, did he or the women he loved ever find what they were searching for?

In this engrossing novel, find yourself whisked away to ancient Israel, where you'll meet four remarkable women: Naamah the desert princess, Abishag the shepherdess, Siti the daughter of a pharaoh, and Nicaula the queen of Sheba. As you experience the world of Solomon through his eyes and theirs, you'll grapple with whether this king's storied wisdom ultimately benefited him and those he loved . . . or betrayed them.

My Reflections:
I simply adore Biblical fiction, it is one of my favourite genres! I will most certainly be looking this authours work up in the near future. This story sweeps it's readers off to another time, a time where King Solomon rules and the wives he collects deal with the situations they find themselves in. I loved that in this fictional retelling we hear both sides, one of the wives and one of King Solomon. It gives readers a better perspective into the lives and thoughts of the characters. 

As the story progressed I was not smitten with King Solomon, I found him paying lip service to his new wives. Once the marriage ceremony was completed and the honeymoon over he moved onto another more interesting prospect or work-related venture. I'm well aware that it was a very different time, and that this is a fictional twist on the biblical story. None the less my heart went out to the many wives he collected and the feelings they must have experienced when a new wife was added. The story really highlights the fact that truth can get mixed up so easily by life. Solomon was spoken to by God, he knew the laws and he talked himself into believing that his choices were Ok, even though God's law was straightforward and clear.  This clarity was so well delivered in this story that I found myself really analyzing some of my choices and thoughts. Such a healthy thing to do, right! 

I love when I read these stories then get the itch to reread the actual account, the Bible is filled with stories that blow your socks off. It's awesome!

I usually share the Biblical fiction with my tween and teen however I probably won't be sharing this one with the 11-year-old as there are too many innuendos to the marriage bed. I would recommend this novel to adults and the 17 and up crowd. Definitely a great read, I'm super excited to read more from this authour!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Jill Eileen Smith
Jill Eileen Smith is the bestselling and award-winning author of the biblical fiction series The Wives of King David, Wives of the Patriarchs, and Daughters of the Promised Land, as well as The Heart of a King and the nonfiction book When Life...
Continue reading about Jill Eileen Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...