Tuesday 24 April 2012

Froggy Nights...not for the faint of hearts....


Bull frog eating a mouse........poor mouse!  (This is not a picture I took)

Well we found our first bull frog here on the acreage.
However I regret to tell you that I don't have a picture of dear Little one happily squishing it in her pudgy little hands.
Our neighborhood is anti bull frog as they seem to be an invasive spices, and eat just about anything they can wrap their rubbery little mouths around. Note above picture!

You should have seen our glee as we chased this crazy frog around trying to capture it.
There was thrashing around in the ditch and high pitch squealing, and it all came from me!

We played with the clod hopper for awhile, then took it over to our knowledgeable neighbor who knows everything about nature, and asked her if it was a bull frog or a regular frog, she told us it was definitely a bull frog and took it to dispose of, presumably into the freezer!

So my first cold blooded amphibian find is now I'm sure a green bumpy Popsicle.


Sigh, well life is like that here, food is food, cute or not!, funny how separated we become from where our food actually comes from. I don't think I am quite ready for eating frog legs just yet but who knows, they say they taste like chicken?

As I sit and listen to the constant drumming of the wood pecker and contemplate life and times I think of that crazy creature. He pecks looks at the wood like it may be the holy grail then pecks again.
I wonder what he is thinking? Perhaps,"oh ya I am gonna get me some grub" or maybe it is more like "duh man I gotta, headache, where's my breakfast?"
What ever he is thinking he is a bit annoying, but dear husband is set on leaving him be, and letting him destroy our supporting beam, all because he is cute.

Exodus 8:2-14

But if you refuse to let them go, behold, I will plague all your country with frogs. The Nile shall swarm with frogs that shall come up into your house and into your bedroom and on your bed and into the houses of your servants and your people, and into your ovens and your kneading bowls. The frogs shall come up on you and on your people and on all your servants.”’” And the Lord said to Moses, “Say to Aaron, ‘Stretch out your hand with your staff over the rivers, over the canals and over the pools, and make frogs come up on the land of Egypt!’” So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land of Egypt. ...

OK well It was the best verse I could come up with that said anything about frogs LOL!!


1 comment:

  1. We used to catch and freeze those big frogs! They make great fishing bait come the summer:) Has the woodpeckers started rap a tapping on SS chimney yet. The louder they are the happier...Apparently it is a studly thing :))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...