Monday 25 November 2019

Book Review: One More River to Cross

From The Back:

Adversity can squelch the human spirit . . . or it can help us discover strength we never knew we had.
In 1844, two years before the Donner Party, the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend company leaves Missouri to be the first wagons into California through the Sierra Nevada. They enjoy a safe journey--until October, when a fierce mountain snowstorm forces difficult decisions.

The party separates in three directions. Some go overland around Lake Tahoe. Others stay to guard the heaviest wagons. The rest of the party, including eight women and seventeen children, huddle in a makeshift cabin at the headwaters of the Yuba River awaiting rescue. The months ahead will be long and at times terrifying. But with friendship, family, and enough courage to overcome their fear, these intrepid pioneers will discover what truly matters in times of trial.
My Reflections:
I usually gobble up Jane Kirkpatrick's works, this one, however, left me a little Parched.
Normally historical dramas tickle me pink, I love the cohesion of fact and fiction intermingling. This story was factually intriguing and kept me turning the pages, I did, however, find the multitude of characters confusing and this fact along with the sheer misery that was never-ending sunk my enthusiasm a tad. 
Set in the American West in the 1840s this tale is based on a  true store by Donna M Wojcik It was a footnote actually, posted in the "Brazen Overlanders of 1845" Years later Jane Kirkpatrick decided this was going to be the basis of her new novel. This is so awesome and I love these types of stories. 
Perhaps it is my mind frame at the moment or that the story was just so sad and cold and hungry that I felt bleak. This coupled with my terrible memory for names, and with them being so similar, I well felt a little lost at times! Thankfully Kirkpatrick includes an index on pages 11, 12 and 13. So, in short, I loved the context of the story but got lost in the process. Please don't let my review sway you though, because you may love a story that has not been sugar-coated, the grit of these settlers is beyond anything we have ever endured. You may love a multitude of characters, your dendrites may just be more complex and developed!

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Jane Kirkpatrick
Jane Kirkpatrick is the New York Times and CBA bestselling and award-winning author of more than 30 books, including Everything She Didn't SayAll She Left BehindA Light in the WildernessThe Memory WeaverThis Road...
Continue reading about Jane Kirkpatrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...